Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I wonder...what is cool?


Ever wonder if you're not as cool as you think you are? I use to think I was a pretty cool guy, but then I talk to my cousins and friends who are with what is "IN" these days, and I find that I'm a little out of touch with cool. Not too far off, but far enough that I find myself wondering. When I was just a wee lad, there was no question at all. I use to be that guy who knew all the trends. The music I listened to and clothes I once wore were "IT" in society, but now I see some fashions as weird and alien. I even caught myself saying, "why do these kids today listen to this stuff?" I actually said that while listening to the radio and almost crashed my car when I realized it. Don't get me wrong, I don't chalk it up to aging. I know there are guys my age and older who are still cool. Brad Pitt is like 40ish and he's still cool, right? Well, at least I know I'm cooler than some people.

I have an uncle who is pretty cool. He is about 50 and still has a body of a 20 year old athlete. He is cool by accident though. He has had the same hair style for so long, it went out of style twice!!! But, then again he married a girl who is a year younger than me. When I was a kid, I use to think that I was cooler than Steve Urkel (by the way, if you don't know who this is, you are too young to be wondering if you are still cool), but he got into his science gizmo and then he was way cooler than me. On the flip side, Michael Jackson use to be cooler than everyone...

I guess It's all in how you look at it. Rene Descartes said," I think, therefore I am", so I am going to apply this philosophy to myself by saying, I think I am cool, therefore I am... or at least I hope nobody calls me on it.

Thanks for the vent session

No comments: