Monday, June 22, 2009

Where are my glasses...


I swear that my house is haunted. When I go to sleep, I always put my glasses on my window sill so i know where they are. But when I wake up, they are always in a different place. This morning I found my glasses in a kitchen cabinet with the toaster. Who else would leave glasses next to a toaster but an angry poltergeist? At night, it sounds like people are running back and forth above me. I am the only one who hears the sounds. Is it time for the Ghostbusters? I seem to have misplaced their number. My parents grew up in Samoa and they have told me some crazy ghost stories from there.

Many years ago, there was a young woman who lived in a small hut along the beach near my fathers village. She was young and had no other family, save a small newborn child. She loved this child deeply, but as sometimes happens, tragedy struck. A large wave struck the shores of her island and swept her and the child out to sea. She survived, but the child was lost. In the grips of grief and despair, she ended her own life with poison. From that day forward, her spirit roams the shore searching for her lost child. My father said that you can hear her mournful cries at night and sometimes see her standing on the sand gazing at the sea waiting...

When I was a about nine years old we use to live with my grandparents because we had just moved from New Zealand. In my grandparents room, was a dresser with a large mirror. Every night, my grandmother would cover the mirror with a sheet. After the awhile, I became curious and asked my grandmother why she did this. She told me this story...

There was an old story that a witch use to live near her village. The witch was horribly disfigured in a fire. When she eventually died, her image began to appear in mirrors when girls would comb out their hair at night in front of mirrors. The witch would be jealous and would scratch the girls face or slap her. When my grandmother was a young girl, she had a mirror in her room. The rest of her family was asleep and she was getting ready for bed. She didn't believe in the old story and was combing her hair out. She turned around to put her comb away, when she looked up in the mirror, in front of her own reflection was a horribly disfigured woman staring at her. She froze, unable to move or speak. My grandmother said that the woman had a dead white eye and her face was melted and pale. They stared at each other for, what seemed to her for hours, but was only a few minutes. My grandmother fainted. When she woke up, she was laying in front of the mirror, but she had scratches on her face and a faint red hand mark on her cheek.

I have one more that my uncle told me, but I don't know if it's true or not...

When he was a teenager, he would sometimes see a pair of beautiful girls standing by the side of the road near the mountains where he would pick breadfruit. The road had trees on both sides and grew over the road in such a way, that it was like driving through a tunnel. The road itself was always dark in the afternoon because of the trees. The girls were resembled each other so closely, that he knew that they were sisters. My uncle said that he and his friends were always trying to pick up girls that they thought were pretty, but would never stop for these sisters. When I asked why, he said that they were vengeful spirits that would hurt or kill any man that would stop. He explained that years before he first saw them, that twin girls were raped and murdered in the forest near the road, but the killer was never found. Outraged, at the injustice and unfairness of their deaths, the sisters would cause car crashes, injure, and sometimes kill people foolish enough to stop and try to speak with them.

Growing up, my family would tell me these kinds of stories. It's no wonder I think that my house is haunted, but I probably have an overactive squirrel in the house...

Thanks for the vent session...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Maybe you are a sleep walker. It makes sense that you subconsciously grab your glasses in a dream, since you do it every time you wake up.....or maybe just the little girl followed you home